Sunday, November 20, 2005

Beauty in the breakdown


I am newly obsessed with the movie "Garden State." I watched it three times last weekend. Let's ignore the fact that I had the time to watch a movie three times, and focus instead on the beautiful sadness of this movie. It touches on themes that resonate with everyone, no matter who they are or where they've come from - wanting to be happy, fear of being happy, wanting to be loved, fear of being loved, wanting to be safe and finding the person that provides that safe haven for you.

I think that emotional safety has more to do with who you're with, and less about life situations and circumstances. There have been many times in my life when everything was spinning into pieces, but there was someone to hold me and make it better, and I think that kind of safety means more to all of us than we'd like to admit. At least that's true for me, because as much as I always want to be strong about everything, and for everyone else, I have realized that there's also somehing beautiful about trusting someone else to hold you when it goes to shit - there's beauty in the breakdown.

No comments: